Hello and welcome! I’m Danae from Bayside Melbourne, Australia. Thanks for visiting my travel blog.
Get ready for interesting, useful, and unusual travel information.
I’d like to explain the inspiration behind WHAT THE…? Travel Reviews:
1) The WHAT THE…?! TV segment on the Rove Live show about ridiculous/baffling stuff that viewers sent in to him, such as strange community signs, ads, and a slice of bread that had a very happy face.
2) The Marvel Comics WHAT THE…?! series which parodied the Marvel Universe and was billed as “The Marvel mag of mirth and mayhem”.
Similarly, The WHAT THE…?! encounters that I have experienced on my trips have parodied (what I consider to be) “normal” events, invoking mirth and mayhem.
3) Our last little getaway to Hobart Tasmania, in early January 2018, which was the catalyst for WHAT THE…?! Travel Reviews. The trip was rife with WHAT THE…?! moments.
My husband Jim and I have experienced weird situations, occurrences, people, and bits of info at relatively normal holiday travel destinations. The WHAT THE…?!s have caught us completely by surprise and have left lasting impressions.
That’s why I’m compelled to share them with you, along with some offbeat travel info and genuine recommendations. I’d also love to find out what you think of our WHAT THE…?!s by rating each one as a Wow/Wacky/Warped/Worrying or a Whateva WHAT THE…?!
In fact, I’d like to know if you think it’s me who’s strange for classifying this stuff as weee-ird.
Looking forward to your posts and WHAT THE….?! ratings! Stay tuned.
Oh, one more thing. There are links sprinkled through this blogsite and I guarantee they will only take you to:
- trustworthy information sites relating to this blog’s content OR
- trustworthy advertising sites that I can personally recommend, e.g. booking.com, in the event that you like what you see and wish to view booking information. Links lead to photos, prices, descriptions, and reviews. We have happily used booking.com to arrange accommodation in destinations such as:
Daylesford VIC, 2015 – The room was affordable, modest, clean, and comfortable. Lovely surrounding area and great location, just a block’s walk to the town’s main street.
Eden NSW, 2015 – We really enjoyed our stay as a family at this motel. The room was large, in great condition, and comfortable for everyone. We had a room upstairs with an ocean view from our window. Friendly, family environment. Top location within walking distance to main streets, incl. pubs, restaurants etc. If you’d like to see the actual room we stayed in, click here and find the room with the red door.
Wagga Wagga NSW, 2015 – Modern, clean, comfortable room. Central location. Enjoyable stay.
Bondi Junction NSW, 2015 – Classy, clean, luxurious, spacious apartment. Central location. So much on offer within a short walk. We loved it and had fun at the cook-your-own authentic Korean BBQ restaurant around the corner.
Preveza Greece, 2016 – Can’t say enough good things about this hotel. It was perfect for us. My husband kept congratulating me on my choice of accommodation. Amazing staff, gorgeous hotel, ATM within 10m, walking distance to the waterfront, taverns, shops, cafes, Satan’s Bazaar, and the foreshore further up. Buffet breakfasts on the rooftop with views. Visit my TripAdvisor review of this hotel. My only quibble was the noise from the dogs that lived on a neighbouring property, but there are quieter rooms available on the other side.
Osaka Japan, 2017 – Small room, inexpensive, nothing amazing, but that’s what was we were looking for. Very good value.
Ikebukuro Tokyo Japan, 2017 – Top location near the Ikebukuro Station. Comfortable, clean, roomy, and enjoyable.
Minato Tokyo Japan, 2017 – Clean, modern, very friendly staff. Language barrier not an issue.
Therefore, I can personally recommend using booking.com.